In the news
- Norsk Hydro, one of the world’s largest aluminium producers, battled on Tuesday to contain a cyber attack which halted parts of its production. Subsequent analysis has speculated the attack included compromise of Active Directory.
- Facebook mistakenly stored millions of users’ passwords in plaintext
- A disgruntled former employee has been sentenced to 2 years jail for deleting 23 servers of data.
Research, reports, opinions
- Forrester Research has released a report that presents an analysis of the maturity and business value of the 18 technology categories that support threat detection and response. You can get the report via Rapid 7 (download registration required).
- Just in case you needed convincing, an article on why phone numbers stink as identity proof.
- The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has released a recordingof their recent briefing on China attacking Managed Service Providers (MSPs) as a way to attack their customers. I’m surprised how plain spoken the briefing is.
- Microsoft has announced Windows Defender ATP Antivirus for Mac
- Durpal has released a “moderately critical” advisory for their web content management system.
- Mozilla has released critical advisories relating to Firefox.
UK industry events
- 27-28 March 2019, London, The World Cyber Security Congress
- 24-25 April 2019, Glasgow, CYBERUK
- 25-26 April 2019, London, Cyber Security and Cloud Expo
- 9 May 2019, London, GovSec
- 4-6 June 2019, London, Infosecurity Europe
- June 2019, London, Security BSides
- 9 July, London, The Cyber Security Summit
- 23-24 September, Windsor, Information Security Network
- 9-10 October, London, Cyber Security Europe (part of IP Expo)
- October 2019, London, FT Cyber Security Summit Europe
- 20 November 2019, London, Cyber Security Summit